Monday, January 30, 2017

Installing Ubuntu 16 on AMD box using USB stick created on Mac

I am installing Ubuntu 16.04.1 desktop on old AMD box I had sitting around.


Create USB image:



$ diskutil list
/dev/disk2 (external, physical): #:
1: Windows_FAT_32 DTSE9_32GB 31.0 GB disk2s1

Note, at first I tried 32GB drive, UNetBooting installed ISO on it, but the target computer did not recognize it, then I switched to small 2GB USB stick.

  • Download latest Ubuntu desktop (16.04 AMD 64 as of January 30, 2017)
  • Download "UNetBooting" utility (for mac) to create USB stick
  • Check your USB drive name with "diskutil list" (disk2s1 for me)
  • Open "UNetBooting" and select:
  • Diskimage (radio button)
  • ISO file location
  • disk2s1 as the USB Drive
  • click OK, it will take a long while






The next step is to start the target computer and put it into the "boot load" mode, then select the USB you have created.